Thursday, April 26, 2007

Yes, Chewyness is really a word...

...but I think it's spelled "chewiness." Don't worry, my brain is expanding here, not shrinking. Today we made more pound cakes, this time using the CREAMING method of mixing. There is a big difference, as the creaming method starts by blending butter and sugar until soft and light. (Remember yesterday the High-Ratio method used butter to coat/protect the flour.) The eggs are then added, one by one, and finally the flour (usually alternating with liquid/milk if there is any). What this means is that you incorporate lots of air initially when creaming butter and sugar, but your final cake is not as tender/light because you do develop some gluten when you have to mix in your flour. Because it's not protected. The texture of the resulting cake is much different - more rise (b/c more air), but a little less tender. It is still a great pound cake - more like a traditional pound cake and probably what many of you are used to. My picture is attached. See what I mean about a lot of rise??? We also made some fluffy white cakes (to go with our chocolate cakes from Tuesday), which we're going to ice and decorate tomorrow), and some crumb cakes and muffins. Oh yeah, there is also a picture of my new Chef, Chef Rebecca (demonstrating the creaming method) as well as Flat Stanley on the subway. I'm helping a friend of mine with a school project and have been doing a little harmless sightseeing with Flat Stanley. It's nice because I can just fold him up in my pocket when I am done. :)









1 comment:

Digital Clownfish said...

Glad to see you are having a wonderful time and soaking it all in.
Ironic - I have a Flat Stanley for my nephew! The gals here at work will help me color him! Uh, if we can fit it into our hectic schedules! hee hee hee
We miss you lots! :)