Monday, March 5, 2007

Today's Treats

Today we continued in the custard family and made cheesecakes (traditional, sour cream and mascarpone varieties), creme anglaise and ice cream base. My partner, Angela, and I chose to make chestnut and amaretto flavors, but other people in the class are making chocolate, coconut, cinnamon, rum raisin, green tea (!) and lavender honey. The bases need to "age" overnight in the fridge and tomorrow we'll put them in the machine and freeze them. At the end of class today, we took our custards from Friday out of the fridge and finished them. For the creme caramel, we just had to heat the bottoms in a little simmering water and unmold them upside down, and for the creme brulee, you all know how it goes, some sugar is sifted over the top of the custard and then torched, cooled to a crisp and then (YUM) enjoyed! The "crisp" only lasts for a couple of hours, so my partner and I torched 2 of them (there were 12 total) and each are taking 5 home tonight to finish. Since I don't have my torch in NYC with me, I'll try them in the broiler this evening and probably make a lot of friends in the apartment building when I give them away. Same with the creme caramels...Tomorrow, we unmold our cheesecakes, make some ice creams and I think we'll make a bunch of sauces (caramel, fudge, fruit ) to go with them. I'm sticking around the school this afternoon to finish my module project (report on fruit from earlier post on Garden of Eden) and attend the Career Fair at 4pm. Then it's home to catch the shows on FOX...
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

No comments: