Friday, February 16, 2007

New Skills...






Pastry classes have really taken off this week! On Tuesday, we learned how to use our knives to cut fruit. They are really sharp, so we have to be careful. I do have a tendency to cut myself in the kitchen, but I'm happy to say that I've been at it for a full week and no cuts! Anyway, we spent Tuesday cutting fruit and Wednesday preparing fruit. My partner and I made dried pears, candied kumquats, poached pineapples, balsamic basil strawberries, and baked apples stuffed with raisins and spices! Whew - that was a mouthful (literally). Other teams in class did the same cooking methods (dried, candied, poached, baked) with slightly different fruits. The first two pictures are of my Tuesday night's homework: sliced apples and supremed oranges (when you cut all of the peel, rind, pith and seeds away and leave just the teeniest and most yummy portion of the orange). The next two pictures are of some poached oranges in red wine and the balsamic strawberries. Finally, the last picture is of the three juices (orange, pineapple-grapefruit and lemon-vanilla) my partner and I made using the pulp that everyone removed in order to candy their citrus rinds.

No comments: