Sunday, February 25, 2007

Exam, Eggs, Field Trip

Sorry I am only posting lately on the weekends. It is my plan to try to write more during the week, instead of putting out a ton of posts on the weekend. That's just how it's been lately! As the title says, I had my first big test on Tuesday. The test was a national certification for ServSafe, the food safety and sanitation program. I'm sure I passed, and think I did really well. Most of my class was done with the test by 2:30 on Tuesday, so we all went out to party. I called Todd at 5:00 and he joined us in the city to help celebrate being done with ServSafe! We weren't out too late, but it still felt like a long day on Wednesday... :) This week in pastry class, we've been focused on eggs. We've made souffles - chocolate, any kind of fruit you could possibly think of, flourless, with flour - marshmallows (the made-from-scratch kind are SO much better), and panna cotta (my favorite new recipe that I've learned so far).
Thursday evening, our Culinary Management class went out to dinner to a Korean BBQ restaurant called Kang Suh. It was lots of fun, we tried a bunch of new foods and drink. We had a good time. Here is a picture of the group!
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
On Friday, we had a field trip and went around Manhattan as a group to try out some of the best pastry shops and chocolatiers in town. We hit Payard Patisserie, Financier, Jaques Torres Chocolates and Bruno Bakery. Google them and check out their websites. These truly are some of the most special places in the world for baking, pastries and chocolate. Friday night Todd and I went to dinner at Gramercy Tavern, New York's #1 rated restaurant for who knows how many years straight now. We definitely know what all the hype is about. For starters, the place is beautiful!! The food was truly spectacular and service was top-notch. We ate in the Tavern portion (not the main restaurant), which is less expensive and you can get in without a reservation, but didn't find that the experience was sacrificed at all. I can say that it is one of my new favorites and we'll definitely go back. Today I spent a good six hours in the school practicing my pulled sugar ribbons and my fingertips are swollen and sore. I hope there won't be any blisters! I do feel like I'm getting more comfortable with the process and on my way to getting ready for my first commissioned job here in New York! Tomorrow is the NY Times Travel Show. (Actually it's all weekend long, but I am volunteering there tomorrow.) The theme of the show this year is Taste of the World, so they've asked the culinary students to help with prepping and plating food for the show. More to come on that once I get back...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this awesome culinary contest for culinary students that I think a lot of readers would be interested in...


The Office of Champagne, USA is hosting a culinary contest for Culinary Students here is some of the info...

3rd Annual Champagne Pairing Culinary Contest

Office of Champagne, USA cordially invites culinary students from around the country to participate in its 3rd Annual Champagne Pairing Culinary Contest. Champagne, long recognized as the world-wide drink of celebrations, has a place at meals too. Champagne is a versatile wine that can complement a wide range of cuisines. From succulent shellfish to delectable desserts, Champagne is ready to take its place in American culture as a complement to a variety of dishes.

Culinary students interested in entering the contest are asked to submit an original recipe in one of three categories - appetizer, main course or dessert - paired with their favorite style of Champagne. Each recipe will be judged on taste, creativity/originality, ease of preparation and Champagne pairing.

Three finalist’s recipes in each category will be prepared by a renowned Washington, D.C. chef and judged by a panel of independent experts who will determine the winner in each category.

The creators of the three winning recipes will receive a trip to the Champagne region of France, including airfare and accommodations. While in the Champagne region, winners will take part in a once-in-a-lifetime educational experience. They will learn firsthand about the terroir, history and strict winemaking regulations of the birthplace of true Champagne.

To view the application and contest rules, please visit our website at www.champagne.us.

Entries should list ingredients, instructions, as well as the recommended Champagne pairing. A written explanation as to why the Champagne style pairs well with the recipe must also be included.

All entries must be received by Friday, June 29th, 2007. Finalists will be announced in July.

Applications may be submitted electronically through the website or via email at culinarycontest@clsdc.com.