Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Eat More Cake!

This is my new motto. Everything is better with a little more cake. Everything, that is, except the fit of my jeans. Ha ha! We're still doing cakes, all types, and this week so far we've finished our chocolate cakes (I ended up doing chocolate caramel, made up of 2 layers of chocolate cake, a filling of caramel whipped cream, iced in ganache beurre, which is like buttercream, but made mostly of chocolate ganache and then the whole thing was glazed with plain ganache. I decorated it with caramelized hazelnuts, which added a dramatic touch.)

My Caramel Chocolate Cake
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Other Cakes in Our Class
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Yesterday we decorated our petits fours. Now I know why they are so expensive! It took the better part of 3 hours to ice and decorate them and I got about 15 of them in total. It is not an easy thing to do but I AM PROUD to have done it! (I tried making them for our Christmas party 2 years ago and, just ask Trudi, icing them was a disaster!) I learned a few tricks and secrets, but it's still a time-consuming process.

My Petits Fours
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Class Picture
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Today we made a dobostorte, which is a Hungarian cake made up of many layers (we used 7) of a very thin, almost crepe-like cake, sandwiched with chocolate buttercream and covered with wedges of caramelized cake for decoration. I didn't finish mine today, but here is a picture of the one our chef made for demo.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

In other news, we finally went to BABBO last night! I've been wanting to go for at least 2 years now and it was definitely worth the wait! We had to make reservations a month ago! We had some great food, fantastic service and just lots and lots of fun. I'm at home working on my marketing plan tonight, and Todd is out with one of his friends.

No comments: